MGA 1600 timing, vacuum advance

To: british-cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET, mgs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: MGA 1600 timing, vacuum advance
From: Kevin Sullivan <Kevin.Sullivan@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 08:37:59 -0500 (CDT)
Your interested in plotting vac. advance vs. RPM and want to save $.50
a fill-up to use 87 octane. . . . . . yes. . .  I have a suggestion
SELL the car!!!

Sorry I guess this heat is getting to me!

ps:  the run on is very normal, do not shut the engine off immediately
when you stop.  Idle for a short time or use the choke then shut the
engine down.  My "A" has run like that for year using 93 octane and is
a very strong running lbc.
Well, I had set the point gap and static timing correctly and the car ran
better than before, but it still felt retarded.  I think this engine has
a cr of 8.3 to 1.  Should it run fine on 87 octane unleaded?  It does,
except for a little occasional run on because of carbon deposits in the
head and on the pistons.  I might try the thin stream of water into the
carbs treatment to decarbonize.  Anyone ever do this with SUs?

Anyway the centrifugal advance seemed to be working, so I suspected the
vacuum advance wasn't, what with a 35 year old diaphragm and all.  I
tested the unit and it seemed fine.  _Then_ I started the car and checked
for vacuum at the vacuum pipe.  Nothing.  So after cutting the pipe in
several pieces, I expunged the clogged segment and spliced the thing back
together with some rubber vacuum _tubing_.  I couldn't locate a supplier
for this tiny metal tubing yesterday.  Seems to be working better.  But I
wonder if the advance curve is correct.  My shop manuals don't mention
anything about it.  For example a set of curves for different vacuum
levels plotting rpm vs. advance would be cool.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kevin Sullivan