High Compression Engines

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: High Compression Engines
From: atf@scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Arthur Freeman )
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 95 12:24:11 EST
In an earlier post, Denise Thorpe indicated that all USA cars had high
compression engines.   I guess that implies all MGAs?.

As usual I hav ebeen beaten to the punch, and Jay Tilton has indicated that
the rubber bumper Bs are low compression.   While I am in Oz, both my Bs
are American imports, and the roadster (rubber bumper) has a low
compression engine.  I believe the GT ('72) also has a low compression
engine, but have not checked that one out in detail yet.

However, the point of the posting,
- does anyone know what the octane rating for "Super" and "Unleaded" in
Australia is?.

The rodaster runs satisfactorily on either, with no sign of pinking/run on.
Originally it had a Zs carb and Catastrophic convertor, but after a
slight problem with the head, it now has an older head with twin HIF4s, and
the pre-catastrophic convertor exhaust.

I am not as knowledgeable as a lot of others on the net, and my manual does
not actually cover the Californian version engine, and therefore I do not
have the recommended timing setting, nor the method of setting the
timing using a strobe light.   Does one disconnect the vacuum tube or not,
does 10 deg static timing equate to 16deg at 1000rpm?.

Look forward to an answer/discussion on the point,

Thanks,

Arthur down under