Re: hail damage to rag top

To: HFREEDMAN@mtroyal.ab.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hail damage to rag top
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 13:52:26 PDT
Y. H. ("Hy") Freedman wrote:

> To the kind people on the list, - on my part perhaps a bit of venting,
> some anger, from you - useful comments appreciated;
>
> Part of Calgary, Alberta received a severe hail storm last week (the
> part of Calgary directly above my 66 B).  The top could be about 20 or
> more years old, but was not too bad, some sewing of rips, etc, but
> with a completely new rear sealed in plastic window that cost $129
> about one month ago (all $$ here Canadian).
>
> Hail created holes in the vinyl, one as big as my fist.  So off to the
> insurance adjuster.  Well, one quote for a new top (adjusters recommended
> repair shop) was for approx $135 labour and $350 for the roof.  So with the
> $100 deductible, and 75% (yes !!! aghhhhh !!!) depreciation on the top
> I will come up with about $220 from insurance for a $485 top, on which
> I had just spent $129 for the window.

There was some discussion on the net recently about the cost of new tops.
The price range was from $130 (Prestige) to $195 (Amco).  This is American
dollars.  I don't know what the conversion rate is to Canadian dollars,
but I'm pretty sure it's less than 2X.

I've always made a profit off of damage to my cars -- partly because I do
my own work and partly because I know where to get bargains.  I suspect that
you could get a top for less than $220 Canadian.  If you install it yourself,
(not that hard) you get a new top for free.

> it's a reasonably quite good mechanically sound 66 B which needs a lot
> of body work (perhaps a total restoration), but is driven daily in the
> summer.  What with brand new tires, and the top, very good mechanical
> condition, should I continue this piecemeal approach, or go all the
> way for a body restoration as well?  BTW, I'm second owner, always
> been a dry (except for hail storms !!) Calgary car, but after 30 years
> some good rust.  BTW, BTW the dry climate here meant that the old
> stiff top did not stand up to the hail as much as a softer newer top
> would have.
>
> comments, suggestions, tips, tricks or whatever are appreciated,
> particularly from anyone who knows how to deal with insurance
> adjusters on matters such as this.

Your insurance company works for you.  They have to settle a claim to
YOUR satisfaction.  In '84, I got $4000 for a stolen '79 Triumph Spitfire
that I'd paid $3395 for a year before.  The initial offer from my
insurance company was for $1200.  All it took was two months of saying
"No."

> thanks very much to you all, I feel better already !!  and will start
> to calculate the $$$ benefits of driving this car (pleasure etc) as
> opposed to the $$ of costs (if that is possible !!

I've driven a '67 MGB almost exclusively for 16 years.  Including purchase
price, minor restoration, and repairs, I probably have no more than $10,000
into it.  This is half the _purchase_ price of a Mazda Miata.  My five MG's
together cost me $2500 and the maintenance for all five costs less than
regular services and batteries for one Mazda Miata.  This is how I keep my
perspective on the costs of my cars.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com
'67 MGB driven daily since '79, another under SLOW restoration
2 '63 MG 1100's, 1 '65 MG 1100, all running