Re: Starting Problems - 79 MGB

To: "Henrich, Dave" <dhenrich@mseng2.waterloo.NCR.COM>
Subject: Re: Starting Problems - 79 MGB
From: David Simpson <davids@cybergate.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 10:15:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995, Henrich, Dave wrote:

> Sometimes the car will start fine and the next time it won't. When it
> doesn't start I do hear a "clicking" noise that I believe is the starter
> relay. If I check the wires at the relay and re-seat them it generally will
> start, I also replaced one connector as it was "stiff" near the connector.
>
> Any help appreciated
> Dave

Hi Dave. Sounds like you've met "Lucas, The Prince of Darkness"! Lucas
electrics on the British cars are notoriously flakey. Sounds like
dirty/old/bad connectors are your problem. Low voltage in the starting
circuit will cause the starter solenoid or relay to click, but nothing else
will happen. If messing with the connectors does the trick, there's your
problem. I've replaced almost all of the connectors on my '77 MGB, and
have very few problems now. I would suggest buying a good electrical
connector kit, with a GOOD pair of crimpers, and keep it handy!
    I've also changed some of the snap-on terminals to the closed-loop
kind that are held on with a nut and a lock washer. That way they don't
fall off. (As often.)

Dave