Re: MG Holiday Sweep Stake!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Holiday Sweep Stake!
From: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk (Mr Andy Smith)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 95 10:35:35 GMT
SR059@ist2.co.umist.ac.uk wrote :

> What is the highest mileage that any of you have done in your MG
> without having to attend to the slightest thing? Should be
> interesting as a guage of MG reliability.

Without having to attend to the slightest thing ?!?

Surely the whole point of taking the MG on holiday is so that you can
attend to all those slight things along the way.  It's much more satisfying
to know that you got back.

Our longest trip was last summer's jaunt to mid Spain to see my father-in-law.
We drove all through France, over the Pyrenees and half way down Spain, and
back in two weeks. About 3500 miles in total.  I can't say we didn't have to
attend to the slightest thing, we had to take a rear wheel off a couple of
times to find the source of a strange new noise, but nothing _actually_
went wrong as such.

Does this qualify ?

BTW when we went for a two week new year trip to Scotland two years ago in
the Midget we also had to take off the back wheel to replace wheel nuts
with stripped thread and find the source of an oil leak.  Either midget
rear wheels like being taken off or Scotland does these things to cars.
Or I've got dodgy rear wheels ?

Andy Smith
Andy Smith. Senior Physicist
Royal Marsden Hospital