Re: Midget electrical problems

To: "Bart Schwartz" <bschwartz@dttus.com>
Subject: Re: Midget electrical problems
From: wkube@iadfw.net
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 06:00:21 -0500

On Mon, 14 Aug 95 CST Bart Schwartz" <bschwartz@dttus.com>
posted the following:

>  Hello all-

>    I am new to this list as well as to MGs in general.  I am having
>    electrical problems with my "new" 1976 Midget.  I have two problems
>     and I'm not sure if they are related:
>
>     1) The red "no charge" indicator light comes on intermittently when
>     I'm driving. At night, the headlights dim when this indicator light
>     comes one.

        I would check for loose/intermittent connections at the alternator.

>     2) The radio has no memory for stations.  It loses memory every time
>     the car is turned off.

        Your radio will have two power leads - one that is switched with the
ignition switch to turn the radio off and on.  The other lead will need to be
connected to a power source that stays hot all of the time.  This is a "keep
alive" lead that keeps the memory from going away.  Find this lead and a
proper (fused!) connection point, that should cure the memory loss problem.
BTW, if you purchase a pull-out model, they have internal backup battery or
capacitor that keeps the memory/clock activated with no power to the radio.

Wayne M. Kube
Plano, TX
'79B slowly going back together.

<---- End Included Message ---->