RE: Wow! Thanks!

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wow! Thanks!
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 95 14:03:00 PDT

 ----------
>From: mgs-owner
>To: mgs
>Subject: Wow! Thanks!
>Date: Tuesday, August 15, 1995 10:48AM

>        Question on the brakes. Can the front disc brake calipers be
>rebuilt sucessfully? I've had trouble with calipers on other
>cars i've had - should i just work on replacing them? I'm not
>completely sure they need it, but i think it's probably a good guess.

Graham -

Hydraulics like brakes and clutch, if they have sat any time at all, have
the hydraulic fluid and absorbed water (DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluid is
hydroscopic) turn to a gooey mess. Add to this accumulated rust,
disintegrated rubber parts, etc. and you have a recipe for some pretty good
glue. Brake calipers/servos hang up, cylinder pistons stick, etc.

On any car which has sat for a couple of years, I would recommend removing,
cleaning, and renewing as necessary, any brake components. This includes the
calipers, master cylinder, brake lines, and yes, even the clutch components.
It's a painful messy process, but certainly less painful than having the
brakes or clutch fail at 60 + MPH.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com