Re: Wow! Thanks!

To: Graham Knight <graham@disr.den.mmc.com>
Subject: Re: Wow! Thanks!
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 08:29:15 +0600
Graham Knight <graham@disr.den.mmc.com> writes:

>        Question on the brakes. Can the front disc brake calipers be
>rebuilt sucessfully? I've had trouble with calipers on other
>cars i've had - should i just work on replacing them? I'm not
>completely sure they need it, but i think it's probably a good guess.

I don't know about the Midget's calipers, but every LBC whose brakes I've
taken the time to look at has calipers that are two halves held together
with fatass bolts.

Do not under any circumstances split a caliper into its two halves.  The
brake calipers were never meant to be taken apart, and it's not part of the
rebuild process.

A caliper rebuild entails only making sure the bores and pistons are clean
and unscored, and replacing the fluid and dust seals.  The worst work you
can  expect to do is maybe honing the bores a little, and only a little.  If
the bores are beyond honing you can get them resleeved, but at that point
I'd choose replacement.
--
Jay Tilton     | vt <> Vermont.  vt = Virginia Tech.
jtilton@vt.edu | .sig subject to change without notice