Re: Overdrive in a Midget?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive in a Midget?
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 08:47:12 +0500
>     I am planning to put a new transmission and clutch in my '78 Midget
>     and I am wondering if I should (could) replace the standard
>     transmission with an overdrive unit.  Also any ideas where I can get a
>     heavy duty clutch.  I don't want to do this again anytime soon.
>     Thanks for the advice.
>
>     Mark Fleming
>     fleming@battelle.org

I did a bit of investigating into a similar set up: putting a Datsun 5-speed
tranny into a bugeye.  It can be done.  There supposedly is a company
somewhere that can supply a kit to do it.  I have no idea if the same swap
can be made on a midget, especially a '78 (the kit was designed for the
backplate of the A-series engine and I'm guessing that the '78 has the 1500
yes/no?).  Advice on the kit I'm talking about can probably be had over on
the Healeys list.  A local lbc garage did the conversion for a customer
about two years ago on a bugeye.  I have only second hand reports but the
word is the kit works, but not quite as easily as the kit-makers claim.  YMMV.

Will Zehring