Re: Overdrive in a Midget?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive in a Midget?
From: Alan Tong <alan@picotech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 09:05:42 GMT
A later type Triumph Spitfire of Herald overdrive/gearbox will fit in a 1500
midget without too much problem.  This is probably the best modification you
can
do to a 1500.  With a well sorted engine you can CRUISE at 100mph without the
engine screaming.

When looking at an overdrive, just check that the number of teeth on the input
shaft of the gearbox is the same as on the Midget box.

Fitting the box will involve a bit of cutting and welding, the first time I did
this I used a kit from the Nottingham MG Centre (about 100), this includes the
necessary metalwork, mounts speedo cable and instructions.  Its not difficult
work out how to do it, but I still think the 100 well spent in terms of saved
time.

Moss in the UK do an uprated clutch, but unless you have really gone to town on
uprating your engine I would not bother.  Cheap clutches do blow up, but good
quality ones such a borg & beck can cope with a lot of abuse.  In fact the
overdrive is more likely to give out than the clutch.  If your engine is giving
out more than 130/140BHP then you will have to consider uprating the overdrive,
but a competiton overdrive unit will cost you serious money.

If you need any more details on overdrive conversion just ask - I know that
there are a few others on the mailgroup from St Albans are who have also done
this so there will be plenty of people to offer advice.

Regards
Alan Tong