Re: Temp Gauges

To: mgs@autox.team.net, asmith@BayNetworks.COM
Subject: Re: Temp Gauges
From: hanz@sybase.com (Hans Huber)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 95 12:26:41 PDT
  Andrew Swith wrote:

> In a related vein to the Magnette discussion, I've been told that
> my Healey (well it's an honorary MG for the purposes of this
> list - built in the same factory) has a mercury capillary temperature
> gauge. Does anyone know whether this is really
> true? It has a "sender" unit in the water inlet with a long
> metal tube up to the (Smith's) gauge and is soldered into the gauge
> at the top. Are these things repairable or calibratable? - mine
> never gets to read above about 130 degrees.

i think they're actually filled with some mysterious ether - or was
it actually ether (my temperaure guage lies, de-etherized, upon the table)

they are repairable, though not by mere mortals like myself -
try (in your very neighborhood):

Palo Alto Speedometer   415.323.0243    718 Emerson

Hartmut is your man.  they can rebuild it.  they have the technology.
and it won't even cost $6M.   i think it's <$100

-hanz ('58 frog, san francisco)