Finally!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Finally!
From: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.wfu.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 09:02:15 -0400
    I finally got my MG.  This weekend I bought a '74 midget.  It has at least
106K.  There is very little rust and only a small area of shallow bondo on the
right rear fender.  The engine runs well with smooth acceleration. Oil pressure
is between 40 - 60 even when warm. No major leaks. The brakes are bad - very
little stopping power, and if you stomp on the pedal the right front wheel locks
up.  For the last year or two it has been sitting under a carport and only
driven around the block once a week.  I think the hydraulics are probably gummed
up or leaking.  The clutch was recently replaced and seems fine. Needs new
shocks all round.  The coolant temperature gauge, speedometer and odometer don't
work.  Amazingly all the other electronics seem to work except for the hazard
warning light (better fix that one).  First gear makes an awful whine but others
are OK
    As an aside, a friend who knew that I was looking for an MG persuaded me a
couple of weeks ago, to look at a Fiat spyder that had been sitting in a field
behind his house.  Unfortunately as I was poking around, I stirred up a bunch of
yellowjackets and was the victim of an immediate, co-ordinated attack.  Not only
was I stung several times, but they chased me several yards down the road.  Even
now if anyone mentions the word "Fiat"  I can feel the stings again.

Thomas Wannenburg MD.
Cardiology, Bowman Gray School of Medicine
Wake Forest Univ
twannen@isnet.is.wfu.edu