Re: This week's Puzzler (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: This week's Puzzler (long)
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 18:29:24 +0600
>When I go onto
>interstate on-ramp, billowing clouds of oil smoke stream out the back,
>and I can smell oil burning.

Maybe you have soooo much blowby it's spewing out through the carb.

>This happens a couple more times on the way down...  each time the smoke
>is billowing I also hear a clatter or pinging from up front.

That happened to me once way back in summer of 85 when I first got my B.
Pulling away from a toll booth on a very hot day produced excessive pinging,
like a chorus of twenty kids enthusiastically shaking cans of spray paint.
Checked the rear-view mirror and I couldn't see anything behind for all the
smoke.  Very scary, but like I said, it only happened that once.

>2) Compression in #1 cylinder has dropped quite a bit.

Not just dropped, but vanished altogether.  Are you sure the piston is still
in there?  :)

>3) #1 and #2 have been running lean, perhaps because of blow-by.  Clattering
>while smoking could have been pinging due to excessively lean mixture?

Wow!  I love these puzzles, but I'm sure glad they're not my problems.

I'd say either your rings are shot, you've destroyed something in the valve
train (valve/seat/guide/etc.), or maybe even burned a hole in the piston
crown.  What caused this and what relationship it has to the lean-burn
condition in #1 and #2 might be subject to debate.  Too bad both appeared
more or less simultaneously.

a) Increased blowby is causing lean mixture on #1 and #2.
Maybe a ruined intake valve on #1.  #2's intake stroke coincides with #1's
exhaust stroke, so gases could be pulled straight from #1 through the
manifold to #2.  This would kill some of the vacuum at the carb, cause an
apparent lean mixture, and give all the symptoms of a squirrelly front carb.

b) Lean mixture caused increase in blowby.
A lean mixture would cause excessive combustion temperatures (evidenced by
the pinging).  Either the high combustion temperatures or the pinging itself
(knocks and pings are really shock waves--great potential for destruction).

Either way, you're going to have to pull the engine apart and repair
whatever's failed.  You should also give the front carb (if not both) a good
inspection and possibly a rebuild.
--
Jay Tilton
jtilton@vt.edu