RE: Dim Bulbs

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dim Bulbs
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 08:19:00 PDT

>My dashboard lights (74B) seem to be glowing more dimly as we both grow
>older. It could be my eyes, but how can I be sure?

Bad ground, no doubt. I don't recall how the bulbs fasten into the dash on
the B, but on some earlier cars, the bulb socket simply slips into a rather
anemic holder. This often starts to corrode or oxidize thus increasing the
resistance of the circuit.

>1) Can I test my alternator output at home with a multi-tester, or does
that
>need other equipment?

If the alternator keeps the battery charged, there is not problem there. It
should be putting out around 14 volts. Disconnected from the car, you should
be able to check the battery voltage to ensure a full charge.

>2) Can I bypass the rheostat for the panel lights to see if that makes a
>difference?

Sure, but chances are the problem is not there.

>3) Any other ideas?

One other: As bulbs grow old, some of the tungsten filament evaporates and
coats the inside of the bulb. This can be seen as a silvery look to the
glass. This can reduce the light output. Simple solution: replace the bulb.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com