Re: Dual carb mod in CA?

To: davids@CyberGate.COM
Subject: Re: Dual carb mod in CA?
From: DamitDick@megaweb.com (W. J. Richard Criswell)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:57:45
>     Has anyone out there successfully converted a mid or late '70s MGB to
>dual SU carbs in California? I have a '77, and really like to get rid of
>the Zenith 'Constant depression' (aptly named) carb. I suppose one could
>swap out the manifold and carbs every two years...

David...

I've got a similar problem with an '80 MGB. I posted a message a while back
asking people to share
their experiences with getting modified cars passed CA smog and got very little
feed back. The
problem lies not in making the car run clean but in the fact that CA requires
the cars to pass a visual
inspection first and modified cars fail this. I've talked to various lbc (MG)
specilaists, the people at
Pierce Manifolds, etc. etc. and all say the only way is to do the swap every
two years.

I've pretty much decided that's what I'll do. I'm planning on installing a down
draft weber (the side
draft interfers with the brake booster) and a header. Everyone tells me it's
about an hours job to
convert back and forth.

If you decide to proceed and don't want to convert every year, get it blessed
by a CA Smog Referee
first. And if you have any LUCK, PLEASE let me know!

Dick :>)
Have MG will travel