Re: Running on problems

To: dphk@space.se, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Running on problems
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com (MR ROBERT C NOGUEIRA)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 18:54:52 EDT
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> Date: Monday, 21-Aug-95 05:05 AM
>
> From: Hedie Kamoun             \ Internet:    (dphk@space.se)
->
> Subject: Running on problems
>
> Dear fellow anglophiles,
.................................................................>
  3. Also, does anyone have a good verbal idea of what pinking sounds
> like
>       I'm not sure I can distinguish between valve-rattle and
pinking=:0
>       maybe I'm confusing valve-rattle with pinking when I'm setting
the
>       timing and should stick with the factory settings of 15 BTDC?
>
> Oppinions and advice invited
>                 Best regards,
>          Hedie
>
> '73 MGB roadster
> '72 Rover 3500

**

Hedie: The best example of the sound  of PINGING is from when I bought
my MGBGT.  Unaware that the timing was far too advancesd I was prepared
to tear in to the transmission because I was sure that ther were ball
bearings  floating around the oil  or the lay shaft was loose. The
sound is like ball bearing in rattling in a can. It is not a single
noise but sounds like it is coming from several objects. It should
happen primarily when the egine is loaded.     If you can hear it at
Idle at 10 Degrees BTDC it is not pinging.

BOB