Beware of local ripoff artists!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Beware of local ripoff artists!
From: DamitDick@megaweb.com (W. J. Richard Criswell)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 19:03:00
Ever have your day totally ruined when you learn you were brutally ripped off
and there is apparently
nothing to be done about it? I woke up this moring and decided it would be a
perfect day to give the
B-GT a through cleaning after the trip to Rendezvous and back and, since I'm
due for a trip to the
smog station, a complete tune up would be nice.

Since I didn't plan ahead, and my friendly Moss Distributor does not read
minds, I will have to obtain
tune up parts at my local "Discount" Foreign Auto Parts store. Nothing fancy
you know, just cap,
rotor, condenser, and points (I did specify HD points) for the distributor;
spark plugs (Champion), oil

filter (I specified a Wix), and valve cover gasket. Of course this "Foreign
Parts" store did not stock
anything other than the spark plugs. But not to fear, all other items are in
stock at the local
Automotive Jobbers Supply wherehouse and I can pick them up there.

When I signed the chit, I thought the prices were a little on the steep side
but I expected to pay a
premium to be able to have them today! When I got home, I'd had more time to
reflect on it and so I
pulled out my Moss price list and did a little comparison shopping. This is
what I found!

The "Discount" store's retail list came to $90.82!!! My cost was $57.13 (a good
discount but still...).
Moss full list was $33.05 and my trade discount would have been somewhat less
than that!

Well, I promptly called the store and told them I was returning all items. They
calmly said no, no, no.
Look at your invoce it's marked "special order." All special orders are
non-returnable since we don't
stock them. Special order my aching hinnie! I returned, all items were
availaable locally and you and
or the Automotive Jobbers Supply should take them back. He claims that he
cannot return items he
doesn't stock to the warehouse and that he can't afford to stock items that
don't move (I agree, he
can't). But, I would think that the warehouse would accept returns of items
they normally stock!

The best I could get out of him was an adjustment to the bill. So I got the
pleasure of spending my
time, money and gasoline making this jerks parts run, to say nothing of running
accross town to his
place of business only to be ROYALY RIPPED OFF and have to make another trip
accross town
tomorrow to get the bill adjusted which will still amount to a rip off!

Some days - it seem like I never learn.....

Dick :>)
Vintage Parts & Products
Have MG will travel