Fluids - Shocks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fluids - Shocks
From: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.wfu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 18:15:17 -0400
   In the ftp archives I have read that lever shocks can be filled with various
oils incl Armstrong, Girling, STP, 20/20 motor oil, fork oil etc.  Obviously
some of these may be more easily available than others.  My questions are:  Can
I just top up my shocks - perhaps using oil that is different from what is
already in there (I assume Armstrong but don't know) or should one perform a
complete exchange transfusion?  Any hints / suggestions on doing this job would
be appreciated.  The Haynes manual does not even mention shock fluid top - ups.
My shocks are pretty bad and I' hoping for something short of replacement.

Thanks

Tom
74 Midget

Thomas Wannenburg  MD