Re: Starter cranks w/ p-brake set

To: Jay Tilton <jtilton@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Starter cranks w/ p-brake set
From: David Simpson <davids@CyberGate.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 23:16:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, Jay Tilton wrote:

> You proceeded to fix your car without first asking the list for advice?!
> Outrageous!  You're a madman!  ;)

  Yes, I am. "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun with their
tops down."  Neville Chamberlain, I think. Besides, this was about 5
years ago, and I didn't know about the list. I will do one hundred checks
of the carb oil level as punishment.

> The diode is there to illuminate the dash "Brake" light when you start the
> car. Every modern car does this (B's have something in common with modern
> cars?).  I guess the idea is to let the driver know whether or not the light
> actually works, sort of like an automatic version of the brake light check
> switch on the dash of 68-76 B's.
>

> It happens more often than you may think.  Been there.  Done that.  I just
> pulled the diode out without replacing it.  If I feel the need to check the
> light I just tug on the handbrake.
> --
  "It's not a bug, it's a "feature". Computer programming saying. Now you
can start your car, AND check the light all in one move! Just pull the
brake lever!

BTW, what does 'ROFL' stand for?

Dave Simpson
davids@cybergate.com