Starter cranks w/ p-brake set

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter cranks w/ p-brake set
From: davids@emerald.cybergate.com (David Simpson)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 09:50:22 GMT
Here's an interesting one.
     One day on the way to somewhere (probably the Auto Parts Store) in my '77B,
I parked, and pulled up the parking brake, only to hear a horrendous
grinding noise coming from the nether regions of the car. It sounded like
the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse had let loose with a keg of Courage Best
Bitter right there under my backside! It stopped as soon as I (with
amazingly fast, cool reflexes) let go of the parking brake lever and gave
the master mechanic's traditional shout of discovery at a new and unheard-of
event, to wit, "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!". This drew appreciative nods from the
small crowd that had gathered outside the "Auto Parts Store" to dispose of
their empty oil cans, full ashtrays, and used diapers (nappies, for those
across the water).
        After a bit of astute troubling-shooting and careful
experimentation, (i.e. pulling on the handbrake lever again), I found that
the starter would run whenever the "BRAKE" light on the dash illuminated.
(Yes, mine works.)
        Yes, The Prince of Darkness had struck (strucked? strucken?) again!
After much atonement was made to the dark forces, and the usual small-animal
sacrifice, I was able to locate a diode in the wiring diagram that would
cause this manifestation IF it were to breakdown and pass what the High
Priests call Reverse Current. Much penitence later, I was able to actually
find the diode in the car, and upon exorcising it from the circuitry, caused
the evilness to cease. The diode tested out faulty, BTW.
        The strange part is, everything else works normally. Well..., as
normal as usual, anyway. I can find no reason for the diode to be there in
the first place. It may only be to expose sinners ("It has been 98 days
since my last valve adjustment") such as me. But when the "BRAKE" light came
on, it caused current to flow to the starter circuit, if the ignition switch
was on. The engine would start, and would grind merrily away on the
still-engaged starter. Very entertaining for onlookers.
        Has ANYONE else had this particular experience? Hopefully my tale
may enlighten someone, or add to the cumulative knowledge of the species.

Dave Simpson
davids@cybergate.com