Help! MGB Motor Mount direction

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help! MGB Motor Mount direction
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 95 16:26:14 -24000
I'm installing a motor in my '79 MGB, and need info on which direction the
motor mounts go!  I didn't notice when I was removing the engine that the
mounts are not symmetrical.  The engine position and height is affected by
which way the mounts are installed.

I chose to install mine such that the engine sat the lowest, and the stud
which is bolted to the subframe is the highest.  Bad move.  The mount on the
driver's side doesn't have clearance between the stud and the frame to get
the nut on.  Argh! I quit for the day before I took a hammer to something I'd
regret later.

I can flip the mounts over to get more clearance for the stud, but I'd like
to make sure that both mounts go the same direction.  With my luck, one goes
one way and one the other.  My Haynes manual ignores the more recent MGB (no
pics, no specific instructions).

[editorial comment; blowing off frustration]  I had the same experiences with
my Haynes manual for a Fiat X1/9.  I had a U.S. spec '79; everything in the
manual was for a Euro '75, before a major engine and body style change.  This
caused me to create "Hayne's Law:"  "Any given set of instructions will
contain at least one significant omission or error."  I know.  For the bucks
spent Haynes is OK; but I should quit bitching and go buy the factory manual.
[end of editorial comment]

Here's a little tip that may help when installing the plate and nut that
secures the mount:  Use some RTV to hold the plate in place.  Put more RTV on
your fingertip so you hold the nut on your fingertip while reaching the stud
to get the nut started.

It did occur to me while I was trying to get the nut and plate on, that the
only way the thing would go together easy was if I was standing below the
frame, and the front suspension wasn't installed yet.  I imagine this was the
way they were done on the assembly line.

thanks in advance for your help.

Sean Johnson
'79 MGB '75 Spitfire (with much simpler mounts)