Re: Alternator woes

To: taberski@uidaho.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator woes
From: MGBDavid@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 22:49:28 -0400
>Thinking about putting on Ford or Chevy alternator....
About two years ago, I put a GM 63 amp alternator on my 79 MGB.  It was
around $40.  I've had excellent results.  Haven't had to call the tow truck
since.  I was able to make brackets out of thick metal strapping, so the unit
fits beneath the factory air pump, and is not an eyesore.  You can get these
units with a self-exciting regulator so that you don't have to hook any wires
up other than the main output terminal at the back of the alternator.  My
alternator does not have the self-energizing regulator, however, so I had to
run a jumper from the output terminal on the back of the alt. to the B
terminal on the regulator harness plug (side of the unit).  As far as
modifications to the housing for alignment purposes,  I cut about 3/4" off
the thicker of the two mounting bosses, and ran a long bolt right through the
alternator and water pump ear.  I used a small piece of metal strap to link
the rear of the alternator to the original block bracket.  The lower bracket
is the original slotted adjustment bracket bolted to a small piece of flat
steel bar  (1/4 in thick).  This arrangement gives correct belt alignment.
 I've seen others do this conversion linking the thinner end of the GM unit
(as it comes from the shelf) to the water pump ear,  causing the belt to
angle slightly as it goes to the water pump pulley.  Forgot to mention above,
 you must connect the thin brown wire that went to the lucas unit to the
other GM regulator plug (the one just opposite the B terminal).  This
energizes the field windings(unnecessary if you opt for the self-energizing
regulator).  I'll have to check to see what size belt I used; I remember
several runs to the parts store before I got it right.  This would vary,
however, depending on the way you make up your brackets.
      Sorry to ramble on,  If any of you need any more info,  I'd be happy to
help.

PS... the part number (generic) was 7127-3.

Regards,

David Cunningham
Clearwater, Fl
79 MGB