MGA overdrive? (was Re: V8's for MG's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA overdrive? (was Re: V8's for MG's
From: Kevin Sullivan <Kevin.Sullivan@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 09:41:43 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 5 Sep 1995, David Lively wrote:

> An alternative is a 2 litre MGB with a Nissan 280ZX 5-speed.  This ends up
> being marginally cheaper, and if you live in a smog-regulated state, no
> apparent changes to the factory smog system for the smog inspectors to fret
> and worry about.  Results can be 130 bhp with a lighter car, and fifth gear
> overdrive performance dropping the rpms into the 20's at freeway speeds.

Sounds nice!  Of course I'm not planning on changing the original setup
on my MGA, but if the trans ever needs replacing, an OD would be a nice
alternative.  Anybody put/seen an OD in an MGA?  How about a non-MGA engine?
(Not that I would ever do such a thing -- but I would like to hear about
it if it's been done.  Especially if it's something crazy.  Hmmm -- 130hp.)

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA (original engine, suspension, gears, etc.)
Nichols Research Corp.
Shalimar FL USA