RE: Stubborn Pinking problem, revisited

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stubborn Pinking problem, revisited
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 95 10:49:00 PDT
John -

If the fuel pump never shuts off, it is clear that you DO have a fuel
delivery problem. It is possible that the diaphram is ruptured causing a
fuel starvation problem at higher speeds thus pinking.

I would certainly check this item. A whole new pump is around $100 (for a
proper (?) SU) and a new diaphram is $20.

I can't guarantee that this is the problem, but checking the flow rate (at
least 1 pint per minute) and possible replacement of either the whole pump
or just a diaphram is certainly cheaper than most of the other remedies you
are thinking about.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com
Any ideas?  My next steps appear to be a fuel pump and a distributor
re-curved for this cam.  The local expert, who sells the distributor,
says that won't help much.  The fuel pump is apparently a real SU, but
does not shut off ever... it gets much quieter when the system is
pressurized, but you can still hear it.

Thanks!

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"You are what you is. - Frank Zappa"