Sparks plug replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sparks plug replacement
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.attgis.com
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 95 15:35 EDT
j.michael: describes the procedure for changed the spark plugs on his
           1500 Midget.

> I noticed couldn't get the first plug without moving the alternator.

> I noticed the alternator would hit the cylinder head before I had enough
> slack to remove the belt

> the long bolt that holds the alternator in place hits the oil filter when
> slid backward and the radiator when slid forward.

> I guess I have to remove on of these two pieces to changed the belt.

Sounds about right - to do anything simple on the 1500 Midget become an
exercise in extreme patience.  However there are solutions to the above
predicament.

1 - Buy a longer fan belt - this allows the alternator to sit further
out from the cylinder head and you can fit a spark plug socket in the space

2 - Remove that silly oil filter contracption - and fit the oil filter
dircetly to the engine block. This gives you enough clearance to remove
the alternator bolt.

Gerry

PS _ wait till you have to replace the front timing cover oil seal !!! - it
is probably easier to remove the engine to do.