Re: Thanks for HP numbers, now what??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thanks for HP numbers, now what??
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 95 10:01:14 EDT
>Thanks for all the responses for horsepower numbers on 80 B's. If we start
>with 50 or 60, then a stage 3 tuning to 105HP will be quite a change. The
>book says, port and polish the head, change the cam, use an earlier exhaust
>manifold and a pair of 1 3/4 SU carbs. Then lower the car an inch or two,
>maybe switch to tube shocks. The results sound quite nice. Does anybody have
>advice/experience to share on this modification. Richard
Why try to build a late 60s B out an 80?  I would think that it would be far
cheaper
to start out with a late 60s/early 70s B than build it up from the 80.  Once you
get it to 105 HP and at what cost, you start in on the handling.  Yes, you
lower it
an inch or two and switch to tubes.  You still have those MASSIVE bumpers
on either end that will do little for your handling.  My guess is that you
will be
disappointed after all that work if you are going for the "feel" (acceleration,
handling) of an earlier B.
Lastly, if you start out with a late 60s/early 70s B and then go to stage 3,
think
what you will end up with :-)  Of course I could put on my novex and say get a
Midget, but its monday :-)

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581