strange occurences

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: strange occurences
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 21:29:10 -0400
My 100-4 wouldn't start.  When ir did start, it missed.  Then it almost
 died, making what sounded like backfires.  When I got it back to the garage
I investigated fuel, carb and electrics and everything seemed OK.  Then I and
a friend who had been called over as a consultant, pulled the rocker cover
and discovered a jammed exhaust valve. We pulled the head and discovered that
the valve seat had come loose and had jammed under the exhaust valve.  There
appeared to be no damage to the other seats (examination pending).  I have
never heard of this happening, nor has anyone else I've talked with.  Head
work was done 5000 miles ago (head decked); valve was replaced about 25000
miles ago in 1991.  Any thoughts on why this happened?  thanks  John Trifari
1955 BN1/1980 MGB