RE: Help - Refurbish Differential

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>, "'Larry Unger'" <ungerl@Reston.UnisysGSG.COM>
Subject: RE: Help - Refurbish Differential
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 95 11:02:00 PDT
Larry -

Are you sure it's the diff? My first inclination would be to check the axle
shafts. Especially the inner splines where they engage in the spider gears.

Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com

The rear on my '62 MGA is covered in grease ... rotating a rear wheel
reveals a great deal of play and produces a noticeable *clunk*.  The
hubs for the wire wheels are in good shape ... so my assumption is
that the DPO failed to either replace the front seal or keep the grease
topped up ... resulting in excessive wear to the differential.  The
assembly procedure, outlined by the factory workshop manual,
requires several specialty tools .. any suggestions on where I might
get my differential refurbished?

A 3.901:1 rear from a Banjo axle 'B' would fit, but I would like to retain
the
stock 4.1:1 gear ratio.

Larry Unger---->ungerl@reston.unisysgsg.com