Shock absorbers -Reply

To: mgs@autox.team.net, twannen@isnet.is.wfu.edu
Subject: Shock absorbers -Reply
From: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 09:40:18 -0400
Like Thomas, I used hydralic jack oil in a rear shock that was
leaking like crazy.  It slowed the leak to a bare trickle, kept that
shock working for another 2 years, with only monthly topping up,
until once again the thing leaked too much...big slick on the
driveway.  Then had it replaced, but the hydralic oil did stay in and
provided a good shock for about 2 years.
||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||
||Heaven: home brew, driving an MG, but remember...its not||
||a leak, its a British flow through lubrication system!  ||

  Having had a hard time finding motorcycle fork oil and being too
impatient to  wait for Armstrong oil from VB, I decided to try
hydraulic jack oil in my front  lever shocks. I sucked out all the
old stuff with a syringe before topping up  with the new stuff. It
has made a huge difference - quite stiff.  I initially  intended this
as a temporary measure to see if it improved handling.  It did  such
a good job I'm tempted to leave it in but I don't know if it will
have an  adverse affect on the longevity of my shocks.  Anyone have
any long term  experience with this?

Tom
74 Midget

Thomas Wannenburg MD.
Cardiology, Bowman Gray School of Medicine
Wake Forest Univ twannen@isnet.is.wfu.edu