boring, sorting main caps

To: DANIELS@LMSBV3.TAMU.EDU
Subject: boring, sorting main caps
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 14:02:58 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 20 Sep 1995 DANIELS@LMSBV3.TAMU.EDU wrote:

> Alternatively, you can just shim them up with aluminum foil held in place
> with epoxy.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned a machine shop once ground a chevy V8
crank too large, so it barely could be turned when it was assembled.  They
would not correct it and I couldn't afford to have it redone elsewhere.
(I didn't own a Dremel tool then, so I couldn't regrind the crank myself.)
I took some model A ford main bearing shims, cut them to fit the chevy
main bearings, and *made* a bit of clearance.  AFAIK, the engine lived a
long and happy life.

No epoxy, though, it wasn't needed.  Just be sure the shim extends far
enough to enter the gap between the bearing shells.

In regard to the original question, of how to find the original location
of the main bearing caps, I have a suggestion.  I assume the caps were
align bored and had their vertical surfaces machined at the factory while
installed on the block.  If one looks carefully enough with a magnifying
glass, it should be apparent if they are reinstalled correctly or not,
because machining marks should be continuous across the block and cap
surfaces.

Ray "DPO" Gibbons