Thorpe's slinger corrolary to Zehring's leak theory

To: russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson)
Subject: Thorpe's slinger corrolary to Zehring's leak theory
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 08:20:48 +0500
Russ, Denise, and fellow fiends:

Russ writes, in response to Denise's startling TC oil conservation story
(apocryphal tho it may be):

>I can imagine the slinger working *better* at crusing rpm than at idle but
>the "on or off" behavior of the leak rate you describe seems odd.

This is loosely consistent with my own humble observations on Old
Whiteside's seal-less 18G engine.  Extended periods of highway travel (i.e.
cruising at upwards of 4k RPM driving to Twist's summer party...when am I
getting that OD unit in????)  seemed to result in *less* oil "loss" than the
around town stuff.  The oil preasure is maxed out (at least as far as my
preasure gauge is concerned) at about 60 lb/in2 (I assume the oil preasure
relief valve is taking over here) at high RPM and is, if anything, lower for
the round town stuff.  This indicates that the slinger does indeed work
better at high rpm despite typically higher oil preasure.

Thus we have Thorpe's slinger corrolary to Zehring's Leak Theory.  Is anyone
writing this stuff down?

I wonder if it could be modified to state that an additonal minute of
running the engine at, say 3500 RPM, would be even better than idle.

Having said this, I still suspect that high-mileage 3-main engines sans rear
oil seal can benefit from an align bore.  Just don't ask me to explain why.
That's the genius of it!

Will Zehring

P.S.  and don't forget Fudd's law: if you push something hard enough, it
will fall down