Re: Ill fitting soft top

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ill fitting soft top
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 22:17:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Leland Smith wrote:

> This spring I purchased a new convertible top for my 69 MGB.  The top was
> manufactured by Robins.   During the installation when I had with what I
> considered the right amount of tension on the top, I noticed that the
> corners of the top rail were still exposed.
[snip]

> Now I stuck with a top that is so tight it takes two people to close it and
> too tight to fasten the lift-on-dots in the rear.
[snip]

> Has anyone else had any problems with Robins tops?

I believe the top I installed a few years ago on my 70 MGB is made by
Robins.  I ended up with the same basic problem in that the edges of the
header rail are exposed, yet the top is almost too tight to close.  Also
the back edges of the top don't have a prayer of meeting the "lift the
dot" fasteners.  It seems that there just wasn't enough material.

I always figured that I must have installed it incorrectly, and in the
final analysis I probably did.

Regards,
John Van Valkenburgh