Re: Ill fitting soft top

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ill fitting soft top
From: daveph@ix.netcom.com (David Hay)
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 23:52:02 -0700
LelandS@dow.com wrote:

>This spring I purchased a new convertible top for my 69 MGB.  The top
was manufactured by Robins.   During the installation when I had with
what I considered the right amount of tension on the top, I noticed
that the corners of the top rail were still exposed.   I hear Robins
made high quality top, and since I had never installed one before I
figured that I was just too conservative with my tension.  I stretched
the top tighter until the corners of the head rail were covered.  By
this time the top was very tight.  I should have realized at this point
I was in trouble, but I convinced my self that the top would "relax"
after a while.   Besides the tabs that snap to the window frame barely
reached the male snap on the window frame and I wasn't even sure I
would have enough material to install the female portion of the snap.
so I persevered.

>Now I'm stuck with a top that is so tight it takes two people to close
it and too tight to fasten the lift-on-dots in the rear.

>The two most logical scenarios are either installed it incorrectly or
got a bad top.

>Has anyone else had any problems with Robins tops?

Dear friend,

    About 9 years ago I replaced my top with one manufactured by
Robbins and found it to be of excellent quality. The snaps were all
alligned and there was about 5 inches of extra material that needed to
be trimmed off the header rail. I have the opposite problem you have, I
was afraid of stretching the material too tight and after the top sits
in the sun for a while it has a very slight sag. But when the weather
is cold out it becomes quite taut.
    Beware, the material may stretch over time but avoid raising it in
cold weather (isn't that what they are for?!) for a while or the seams
may rip.  Sounds like you got a lemon. Best of luck.

                            Dave Hay
                            77B