Re: MGF in USA

To: mgs@autox.team.net, wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Subject: Re: MGF in USA
From: asmith@BayNetworks.COM (Andrew Smith)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 18:45:33 PDT
Will "My '63 was cheeper (and better looking)" Zehring wrote:

> I suspect the greater hurdle that would have to be overcome in selling the
> MGF in the US is...  who would sell it?  There is no longer a dealer network
> here.  They would either have to make some sort of deal with an existing
> dealer network (who?) or start from scratch and establish one from bare
> walls.

I was mighty impressed with the local San Francisco Land-Rover dealer this
weekend.
I don't know though if they would stoop so low as to allow MGs on the same floor
as the Range Rovers and the $285,000 Rolls LBCs. I was even surprised that they
allowed Land-Rovers on the polished marble floors ....

There is a fledgling new Brit-Car market over here - I was told that
Discoveries are
going like hot-cakes and are eating into Jeep sales this year. There are at
least 3 *Rover dealers in the Bay Area here I think.

> What does the MGF cost in the UK now?  If we could by one at a straight
> pounds to dollars conversion, what would it cost here?

Presumably cheaper than 1:1 (Land Rovers are a lot cheaper here than back in
Blighty). More competition and lower taxes over here I would guess.

Andrew "my '60 Austin is MUCH better looking but doesn't have a specified
                                       Maximum Wading Depth of 19.5 inches"
Smith
Palo Alto CA USA
'60 Healey 3000 Mk.I