Re: '75 MGB

To: Frank Sperling <sperling@hooked.net>
Subject: Re: '75 MGB
From: "Patrick M. Clawson" <pclawson@mail.orion.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:56:57 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Frank Sperling wrote:

> Let's really get confused!  The current issue of British Car magazine
> completes its two-parter about the benefits of replacing the carbs in
> an MGB with a Bosch feul injection...they claim it works great!
> Frank Sperling

I've got that issue (but not the previous one), and I made a point of
reading that article first.  I was expecting something along the lines of
some Lucas-based unit (supposedly good).

What the writer had done was patch together the Bosch injection system
from a Renault Fuego (port injection) with the throttle body from a Ford
Escort.  While it is reported to work well, it's a cross-bred morphodite
of an assembly.  The choice of parts makes replacement cheap, but you
gotta do your own work (no big deal to us) with your own hi-tech tools.

Personally, I believe in carburettors. They may not be 100% reliable, but
you can tinker with 'em on the side of the road, a million miles from the
nearest garage.