Re: Silly part names

To: craig@wco.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silly part names
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 00:44:09 -0400

>Does anyone know where and how that term originated and how
>it applies to using your brights?

Well, I'll take a stab at this but "dipping" may predate my knowledge....My
TA has "dipping" headlights.....that is the one on  the near side....it
literally Dips, that is the reflector and the bulb rotate downward by
solenoid mounted on the back of the reflector. when the dip switch on the
facia is switched.  This was before the days of sealed beams.
The solenoid also has a switch on it that turns off the off side head lamp
(but that is not what the offside is called the offside) so the the on coming
drivers will not be blinded....this was the law in the late 30's in
Britian....my 37 SA doesn't have this feature but of course I don't know if
the reflector inside the near side lamp is original...
Does any of this make sense???