Re: New MGB: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

To: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Subject: Re: New MGB: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
From: kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Milo V. Kral)
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 1995 08:55:48 -0500 (CDT)
>        The speedometer needle swings wildly up and down.
...You probably need a new cable.
>The gas gauge always reads empty
...check the wiring,  or maybe the sender of the gage
and the alternator light flickers
...check the belt tension
The doors have cracks right below the vent windows.
...you need new door skins.  Make sure you have a competent experienced body
shop do this
The temperature gauge reads exactly half way between C and N
...this may be realted to the gas gage problem.  You instrument voltage
stabilizer may be bad.

>The sill and inner panel (as called in the MOSS catalog) on the
>passenger side are rusted out. Strange, they are pretty solid on the driver
>side. The jacking bracket on the passenger side has completely rusted away.
>Again, it looks fine on the drivers side. As this is structural stuff, I
>would like to get it fixed soon. Does anybody know of a shop experienced in
>this sort of work? (I live 50 miles north of Indianapolis IN.)
...I have a theory about this.  Since you live up north,  and there's lots of
salt around in the winter,  and some residue the rest of the year,  IF the car
was ever parked on the street,  the water running on the sides of the street
naturally has the passenger side more exposed....

>The Miscellaneous:
>        Do I need to use a lead substitute in the gas? I remember 1971 was
>about the time lead-free was introduced. The owners manual says nothing
>about lead-free gas.
...don't worry about it.
Milo Kral
Applied and Engineering Sciences