Re: Silly part name

To: fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silly part name
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:13:11 -0400
In a message dated 95-10-02 04:25:52 EDT,Chip wrote...:

>The "squab" is the seat bottom, not the seat back.

Not to pick a bone with my learned friend Chip but I quote from my SA manual
reprinted in 1944:  page 93, Rear Arm Rest.--This folds back into the rear
seat squab. It  is pulled down into position by the leather thong fitted for
the purpose....etc.

page 68 of the Service Parts list for the SA:  Seats and Cushions----
Part no. B267 12     Front bucket seat O/S complete (less cushion and airbag)
[note that O/S refers to Off Side]
Part no. B267198 Rear seat cushion (trimmed)
Part no. B267 199 Rear seat Squab

and finally from the TA/TB Instruction Manual, mine is dated August 1939
 [whew they got it out just in time] : page one hundred and six; ......The
seat squab is adjustable for angle and several fore and aft positions.  An
adjustable rack behind the squab adjusting the angle and pegs fitted to the
bottom  of the squab locate in a rack on the floorboards, thus allowing the
whole squab to be moved fore and aft.  On later cars the bottom of the squab
is hinged to the seat cushions, so that by adjusting the cushions' position
fore and aft the squab follows.  The top of the squab is adjustable as
previous....

In every case the seat bottom is refered to as the seat cushion (sometimes
with bladders) but the seat back is the squab....and now does anyone know
what a "Draught Excluder" is...?  One clue is that it has nothing to do with
warm English beer!