Re: '75 Midget Engine Rebuild -Reply

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, Christopher.W.Reichle@students.Miami.EDU
Subject: Re: '75 Midget Engine Rebuild -Reply
From: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 14:55:07 -0400
It may sound dirty and undesireable, but if the carbs don't provide a
free flow of air/gas mixture when testing the compression, perhaps
the suction will draw all the air it needs thru the pcv valve from
the engine interior...and of course the oil filler cap???  It must
get the air OK, cause I have done that many times and got the
readings expected...
||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||
||Heaven: home brew, driving an MG, but remember...its not||
||a leak, its a British flow through lubrication system!  ||

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Christopher W. Reichle wrote:

> as opposed to what the actuall presure is. Did you have the gas
pedal all the  > way down when you did the test? A little oil in the
cylinder will make

I have a question (yes, serious).  When one does a compression test
on a  car with SU carbs, clearly the throttle plates should be open.
What  about the pistons in the carbs--should they be propped up?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910