valve train oiling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: valve train oiling
From: LelandS@dow.com (Leland Smith)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:44:30 -0400
When I was disassembling the head on my 69B I noticed server wear on the
rocker arm bearings and rocker shaft.  So I replaced the rocker arm
bearings and rocker shaft while I had it apart. After I got the head back
on I started the car with out the rocker cover on to make sure I was
getting oil to the valve train. I expected to have oil being splashed every
where, I didn't. I could see oil coming out from between the valve
adjusting screw and the top of the push rod and then run down the push rod.
I did not see any oil coming out the hole on the valve side of the rocker
arms.

Is this normal?  Other care I had seem to make a real mess when you start
them with out the rocker cover on.

Oil pressure was about 30 psi at idle and wouuld jump up to 50 psi if I
increased the engine speed to 1500 - 2000 rpm.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Leland