'63 engine specs for '69 ??

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '63 engine specs for '69 ??
From: Joanne Hershfield/Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:34:16 -0400 (EDT)
So, howdy Ya'll....

well the '69 MGB gets a bore job on its orig engine this week while I
complete the wearing out of the '73 engine it has been driving on for the
last 15,000 niles, and well the engine spec question raises its head
again... I am not currently on the list, so please direct any responses
to me here at this UNC acount....... Thanks....

I was a wonderin' about putting '62-'64 MkI Flat pistons, and cam and larger
valved early head (which the car now is carrying, I think), into the '69
engine I am re-building.

Since emmisions laws here do not require this year to be
"sniffed" I am curious about the potential problems this HP Increase
could cause my engine and/or head, and what do I need to whatch out for
as far as the head is concerned. (besides speading tickets....?)

How different is the '62-'64 MGB Cam. ?

Anyone done this, Of course the extra $300 for the pistons is a bit hard
to swallow, but the possibilites of HP begin to overwhelm the dollars as
I begin to think about it..

And an historical question, as I will be restoring my '64's engine before
too long...  What happened with this MkI engine, Flat HC Pistons, Bigger
valves, hotter cam and a Three main engine, then in '65 the pistons dropped
down
to shallow bowls, a different cam, and the five main engine shows up in
'65 ..(correct year..? ).. Did MG Owners start breaking crankshafts, or
driving pistons through head or rods through the pans, or what gives.....
????

Well, nice to take an opportubnity to say hello to you folks again....
BTW, my '71 MGB that I started restoring in Austin four years ago is
finally sold.... put 10K into parts and services, did 1000 Hours of work
on her, drove 1700 exhillarating miles, went to a few shows, won a Rally
Leg in Winston-Salem Tanglewood with her, and just sold her for 8K...
Yipppie.... and hey... it was all worth it, and got lots of good used
parts that I replaced with new ones on her out of the deal too.... and
learned a  lot to boot.... now the real fun begins.....

anyway...
TTFN

Jim Fink
'64B(just pulled home today !)
'67B(parts car to be restored, anyone have a set of MkII guages..?)
'69B (Daily Driver / Trasher)

BTW....RE-TIRES
just put a set of Pirelli 175/70R-14's on the car, great tires, good
size, and they stick like glue, it even screeches to a stop on wet
pavement !. just like a movie with bad car sound effects..!, and only $47
at SAMs Club...

Chow... Jim