FWD: RE: '32 MG J2????! Cool.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: FWD: RE: '32 MG J2????! Cool.
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 03:18:47 -0600
    From: "Palmer, Lewis" <Lew@MPLS.UCI.com>
    Subject: RE: '32 MG J2????!  Cool.
    Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 08:40:54 -0500

Sure. I purchased the J2 in October of 1983 while I was living and
working in London. It was a total basket case, but the price was
right. Over the next 22 months, I did a complete rebuild to original,
but not totally concours, standards.

In October of 1985, I was transferred to Copenhagen so we drove the J2
rather than having it transported. This trip was the subject of an
article in "The Octagon" entitled "The London to Copenhagen Run".

Despite failing Danish safety standards, the car was US-registered and
subsequently driven for 2 years all over Denmark.

In 1987, I was transferred back to the US, so the car was loaded on a
Northwest Airlines 747 and flown back to Minneapolis where it is
regularly driven to various local events..

I know very little of the history of the car beyond its first owner. Lots of
clutch problems in its early history so the car was apparently sold after
about 6 months. I believe it was raced in the 50s and late 60s. I did meet a
previous owner, quite by accident, who had it as his college vehicle in
London during the early 60s. Subsequently to his ownership, it had a Ford 10
engine transplant (since removed) and hydraulic brakes fitted (still there

The car is a joy to drive. Quite unlike any other MG built after WWII. The
steering is tight, the suspension is like driving on railroad tracks. It's
quick, nimble, but an absolute kidney killer.

In case you can decode this, I have included a Windows BMP file showing the J2
with me driving it, in front of Hever Castle in Kent, England.

Thanks for the interest.
Best regards,
Lew Palmer