Re: Insurance for my MGA, Keith Baer (keithb227@aol.com)

To: KeithB227@aol.com
Subject: Re: Insurance for my MGA, Keith Baer (keithb227@aol.com)
From: hanz@sybase.com (Hans Huber)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 12:16:06 PDT

> I have just purchased a 1959 MGA.  It is an older restoration in need of some
> cosmetics, but it runs and drives like crazy.  In looking for insurance I
> found that the "classic car insurance" companies seem to all have a 2500
> mile/year limit.  My regular insurance company will only offer me liability
> insurance.
> To me, driving the MGA is the main reason to own one and I really expect to
> drive more than 2500 miles a year.  Can anyone offer any advice, suggestions,
> experiences with insurance?  Any help would be appreciated!

congrats on the A, eh?  definitely on the list of Cars I Must Own..

i have the same problem with the albatross (bugeye)..  my regular
insurance (USAA) won't write a stated value policy, and so right now
i just have liability, which is frightening considering how much i have
in the body and paint (too much).  and all the classic insurance places
have that silly limit.  2500 miles/year?  what, are you kidding me?
i want to DRIVE this puppy (so i do).

state farm will write a policy for "stated value" (or "agreed value" or
some such).. you'll need an appraisal (which tend to fabulously overvalue
your car, from what i've seen (of course, i'm sure they'll undervalue
mine, as *I* know it's worth *at least* 20k.  (and no, i'm not trying to sell
it :-))).

once you have the appraisal, i think you can insure it for anything up to
that amount..  the break down of cost was as follows (i live in san francisco,
which isn't the cheapest place to insure a car).  i think this quote
was based on a 10k value:

        572.20 /6mo     ($50 collision deductible)
        505.14          ($500 collision deductible)
                81.14   comprehensive (theft/vandalism/etc)
                35.28   uninsured motorist
                213.86  liability
                32.76   medical (5000/person)
                209.16  collision (50 deductible)
                139.95  collision (500 deductible)

and no, i haven't actually gotten around to doing it yet (RealSoonNow(tm))..

hanz ('58 frog, san francisco)