Re: Body Restoration

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: Body Restoration
From: brooked@bre.co.uk
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:04:42 EDT
In <8618130825101995/A68617/KSCSC/119ACA0D1100*@MHS.KAMAN.COM>, MACEDONIA
wrote:
>In a couple of months I will have my '66 B completely stripped...no engine, no
>front end...just a shell. My first question is, what is the absolute best way
>to remove ALL the rust prior to doing bodywork?

There was a thread here a few weeks back about rust removal and neutralisation
with phosphoric acid. If you get it shot blasted you have to keep the preassure
down to avoid damage to the panels, also the surface finish might be a problem
(too rough?) unless the 'shot' is plastic.

>My second question is, what is the best welding equipment to buy to do my own
>panel replacements (ie, gas, arc, MIG)? Although most people I talk to say
that
>MIG is the only way to go, the reference books that I have suggest using gas.
>Any opinions? Since this equipment is so expensive, I don't want to buy the
>wrong thing.

I personally have used MIG successfully for 10 years but you can't heat seized
nuts and bolts with it or braze or cut. It might be a better option to hire
equipment - if thats allowed in the US, just think of the litigation
possibilities!

Regards,

Dave
72 BGT