Re: Miatas -Reply

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miatas -Reply
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:32:59 -0400
Karl Best writes:
>This talk of driver vs. car makes me ask: How do I become a better
>sports driver? Is a driving school a good way to go? Books? Any
>suggestions?

Oh boy, and just as we're having a discussion on the autocross
list on how to attract newbies and keep them coming back to events!

Try autocrossing -- it's driving through cones set up as a mini-road course
on a parking lot, airfield, etc.  Cars run one at a time against a clock.
Cars are grouped by a performance and extent of modifications matrix, from
bone stock econoboxes in H Stock to all-out formula cars in A Modified.

Since you are not running wheel-to-wheel, there is very little chance of
damaging your car.  Since the course is usually tight (at least here in the
Northeast), you develop quick reflexes and very good car control.
And it's a heck of a lot of fun!

Check out the following:
a/x mailing list -
send message "subscribe autocross" or "subscribe ax-digest"
to majordomo@autox.team.net (yes, it's run by our very own mjb)

a/x FAQ Web page -
http://www.wb.com/pub/engineering/users/jcrooke/autox.html

Unofficial SCCA page -
(Sports Car Club of America is the major national sanctioning body)
http://www.balltown.cma.com/scca/SCCAToC.html

"Secrets of Solo Racing", Henry A. Watts, Loki Publishing, 1989,
ISBN 0-9620573-1-2 (I believe stocked by Classic Motorbooks)
This is actually a very good book for anyone wanting to learn about
performance driving and car control.  It covers SOLOII (cone events)
as well as SOLOI (closed track events).  The SOLO Bible for many.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)
Spits in bits & '89 Escort GT (DSP)