Re: Winter Storage

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winter Storage
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:59:31 -0400
I agree with Denise except for the following:
>> Disconnect the distributor lead to get the car to turn over
>> without starting until oil pressure turns up on the gauge.
>
>An engine gets oil pressure faster if it's running than if it's cranking.
>Based on the same principle, it's better to jump in a car and drive, rather
>than letting it warm up idling because it warms up faster while driving.
>Is this not true in very cold weather?

When an engine sits, the oil runs off the bearing surfaces.  When it
is started, it takes time (granted, not much time) for the oil to make
its way through the engine to all those surfaces.  If those surfaces are
under the stress of explosions, the bearings will wear at a much higher
rate for those few seconds than if the pistons, rods, etc. were just
rotating under little stress.

Over a night or a few days, there is still a thin layer of oil on the
bearings,
but when you're talking months, there will be very little oil left.  If you
really
want to be good, remove the plugs instead of the coil wire.  This will keep
the pressure inside the cylinders low as well, minimizing bearing stress.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)