Re: What's In YOUR Toolbox?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's In YOUR Toolbox?
From: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 11:03:58 -0700
>Say you were to drive your MG across the moon, or even West Texas for
>that matter.  Tow trucks and LBC-friendly garages can't be counted on.
>You have a single, standard-sized Craftsman toolbox to take with you.
>What would YOU put in it for the trip and why?

Ratchet set, 3/8", sockets 3/8"-7/8", deep sockets, extensions, breaker bar
Combination box/open end wrenches, 1/4"-7/8"
Asst'd screwdrivers/nutdrivers -- get a kit
Adjustable wrench (Crescent)
Vise grip pliers
Slip-joint pliers
Needlenose pliers with wire cutter
Small hammer
Electrical test light
  [I watched Al Moss fix a sabotaged electrical system at a GoF competition
   in 10% the time of the next competitor, using little more than a test light]

Duct tape, on a small roll (reroll onto a toilet paper roll or similar)
Baling wire
Rocker cover gasket
Fan belt
Silicone sealer
Asst'd hose clamps
Hoses
Tuneup kit

(Put in boot)
Brake fluid
Gallon of water/antifreeze mixed 50%
Few quarts of oil
Leather work gloves

(Do before starting out)
Top off/change all fluids
Safety check -- lights, signals, wipers, pressure, brakes, etc.
Check/replace hoses
Lube chassis

(Keep with you)
Cellular phone (rent one!)
Warm sweatshirt--wind proof
Hat with visor
Credit card
Phone numbers of SOL's near route
Portable radio

Remember, the fluids and such can be purchased when you get to Texas; you
don't need to carry it all with you on the way out.  Above all, keep a good
attitude and a lot of patience!  sf

Stan Fickes               If you want safe speed--buy safe speed--MG.
Wireless Communications   1951 MGTD, under restoration
Apple Computer, Inc.      1965 Sprite, daily commuter
(408) 974-7653            1957 Bel Air StWgn, wife's car