Re: Battery Isolator Switch

To: antiques@whidbey.com, mgs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery Isolator Switch
From: Posidrive@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 20:31:30 -0400
Jerry Causey writes:
" I just mounted a battery isolation switch in my 71B, and put it on the
 front wall of the battery compartment immediately behind the passenger
 side seat. Works like a dream, and also stops the annoying drop off in
battery charge due to a minor ground fault (Lucas design
criterion............??) which has been plaguing me for a couple of years.
Has anyone tried running a ground cable from the battery, directly to the
engine (one of the starter bolts looks quite convenient)? I've read this does
wonders for improving the starter's ability to spin the engine over. If so,
just how long is the cable and what size did you use?
"
I also endorse the battery kill switch, having mounted one in same spot where
Jerry did. It's a good antitheft backup device, and if you forget to turn off
your headlights as I do sometimes, it can save you from a dead ignition
problem. One other improvement I made which I recommend is installing twin
12-volt batteries wired in parallel NOT in series (which would give you a
24-volt system!). The combined cold cranking power using Interstate batteries
is 1,050 amps, which is enough to turn over any B motor even here in the dead
of a New England winter.
Paul Zink, Boston, Mass. 1970 E-Prepared MGB