concours de-alarms

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: concours de-alarms
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 15:09:55 +0500
Gary Burrell writes:

>Also I qualified for the concours de-alarms on Saturday before I put my
>car away.  I came around a corner from stopping going up a hill, and as a
>result I kick to the throttle which gave a nice load exhaust sound and
>set up the car alarm in a car parked by the corner.  Am I the first B to
>qualify.  (Although it would have to be in the modified exhaust category
>as I have a LCB header and a free flow exhaust).

Before replacing my exhaust I used to do this (activating alarms via my
exhaust) daily in the Pk lot at school and I always got some twisted
pleasure out of it.  Now it still happens but unfortunately not nearly as
often.  Any speculation as to why my (our) B(s) and no other car I've ever
driven (loud or quiet) does this?  Could it be because the B is one of the
only cars without a big bend in the pipe to go over the rear axle, giving it
higher exhaust velocity and thus creating more pressure?

chris "how can I get funding to research this?" lenth