Fuel gauges, clocks and stones

To: british-cars@autox.team.NET
Subject: Fuel gauges, clocks and stones
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 09:15:08 GMT
tdm@dns.ak.att.com said
>>> Can you adjust a fuel gauge?  Mine seems to be linear but when the
>>> tank is empty, the gauge says half full.  What could cause that?
>>> ....... a round analog clock about 1.5 inches in diameter.
<SNIP>

OK, yes I believe you can adjust a fuel gauge, but I'd have to check my
books to be sure.  Mine does (or did when it worked) a similar thing.

Originally it would go down to well below empty, but never anywhere near full;
then it changed to going almost up to the full mark, but never below empty.
As you can imagine, my petrol can got used a few times until I got used to the
new range of values.  It doesn't really matter what range it shows, as long
as you know what to expect.  It's when it's not working at all that things
get interesting.

As for the clock, no I would never put something new and tacky looking in there.
The clock I'm looking for would have to be circular, hopefully made by Smiths,
and have a chrome surround. Oh and be the same size as the other dials in there.

The old mini one does seem to fit the bill.

PS.  A stone is 14 pounds (lb), the pound is still in use in America, so why not
the stone ?

Cheers,
       Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.